Monday, September 1, 2014

TV Talk 9/1/14

The hardest thing I've found in trying to live day to day as a missionary is staying away from the television.
My ADD kicks in so bad! I have to ask for them to turn it off so I can focus (plus we're supposed ask them to turn their TV off anyway). Whenever the TV is on my mind automatically tunes into that rather than the Spirit. Then when TV shows or movies are brought up I'm the one that gets the conversation or even lesson derailed. It's a hurtle I need to go over, but at least it's possible. 

It was tough to cut myself off when I entered the MTC but with the lack distractions there I was fine. Then I got to the outside world where the TV is on all the time in almost every person's home I've been to and that's when it became a struggle. But I am fully aware of it.

 I was tested a lot this week.  Sometimes I was good and diligently tried to focus on the person we came to see, but sometimes I wasn't and I would sneak glances at the screen. I love the adventures and the ideas that shows and movies today have, but I remind myself they are only temporary. I have to remind myself that we will only take with us the knowledge that we gain from this life and not the 10 Season collection of our favorite shows and movies.

 Don't get me wrong, the second I get the opportunity when I get back from my mission I'll imagine I will be spending a week catching up on the TV shows and movies I missed while on my mission!  But I understand better each day what will matter most in the end.  Most importantly I know that my mission won't really be over, ever. I will continue to be a member missionary and I know that my service will continue on as long as the call to serve is given to all.

Thanks for all you do. Keep giving service and God will keep blessing you, whether you see it or not. Also don't forget tithing :) I love you ALL.
Loving to know,
Sister Baker

Inline image 2
Love this piece of chalk art.

0 comments:

Post a Comment